The Wrong Lilies

The Wrong Lilies

Sunday, November 6, 2016

GARDENING LIKE A SQUIRREL


In taking a survey of what we call the garden, a smallish area with plants we love, I realize that I have, for too long, been gardening like the squirrels do – planting here and there, not marking anything, and ultimately not knowing at certain times where what is.





We really cannot complain about the garden, even now, this late in the year, because the temps have been mild (actually mild to hot), and we are finally getting rain, so that right now there is this one wonderful bearded iris blooming, a purple next to the gold of the Mexican mint marigold, some of the zinnias are still pleasing the butterflies, and there are a few marigolds and periwinkles and chrysanthemums.  And the spider lilies have finished blooming, as well as the rhodophiala, or fall amaryllis, and they are sending up their foliage, so I know where they are.  The Dutch iris are already sending up foliage too.



But my dilemma is that there are still tempting spaces and I want to plant something, such as a pansy or a dianthus, either of which will bloom all winter, but I fear digging into an area and damaging beloved bulbs. 



So I’ve started photographing certain areas so that perhaps at least in the spring I can know where to put what.  On the other hand, in the spring it always becomes a delightful surprise when something blooms that I had forgotten in the haste of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment