The Wrong Lilies

The Wrong Lilies

Sunday, August 12, 2012

I DON'T CARE


Frankly, I don’t care that Mitt Romney ‘botched’ his introduction of his vice-presidential running mate by introducing him as “the next President of the United States.”  A goof under pressure.

I don’t much care that Romney managed to alienate the Brits and the Palestinians during his recent trip abroad; he’s obviously not much of a diplomat and at least he wasn’t speaking for our country, just himself.

I also don’t care that Romney’s aide had a brief rude interaction with reporters at a WWII monument in Poland.   It would be irrational to expect anyone to control or vet all their aides’ actions.

I don’t care that when they were on vacation, Romney rode on a Sea-do behind his wife rather than doing the driving.  Their vacation, their business.

I don’t care that his campaign invited reporters to follow Romney doing daily tasks such as going to the hardware and grocery stores, at which time he proved stilted and awkward and refused to interact with those same reporters.  Hey, it’s Romney we’re talking about.

I don’t care that Romney had that awkward interchange with Rick Perry during the Republican primaries, where he offered a $10,000 wager.  What’s $10,000 to a millionaire or billionaire?

I don’t care that Romney thinks that corporations are people.  What does he know?

I don’t care that Romney presided over a public health insurance program in Massachusetts, only to deny it now.  How can he know that was his finest hour?

I’ve even gotten to the point where I don’t much care that Romney won’t release more of his prior-year tax returns (heck, he hasn’t even released a version of his 2011 tax return).  When someone has that many homes and that much money, I’d be embarrassed, too.

Here’s what I do care about:  the education of our children; developing green energy before it’s too late; focusing on the vulnerable in our society – the poor, the ill, the elderly; solving our fiscal problems with jobs programs so people get educations and jobs and pay taxes and heal our economy; and finally, recognizing that either corporations are people and therefore must pay their share of taxes, or corporations are not people, and our political campaigns should go back to being boring and stupid, instead of boring, stupid, and embarrassingly costly.  $2,500,000,000 (that’s two-and-a-half billion) is a lot of bread.   Really, that’s a lot of bread.  And cheese, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment