The Wrong Lilies

The Wrong Lilies

Sunday, January 12, 2014

FRIENDS AND FOOD AND PANCAKES



So for many years I used a packaged whole wheat pancake mix – what our granddaughter, when she was very young, called ‘pampapes’, at least we think that’s what she was saying.  Anyway, the whole wheat version of this pancake mix became impossible to find, and so I did what I call recipe-diving, going through recipes that I’ve copied or received, looking for a recipe I remember my dear friend Bettie giving me years ago.  I also recall having used the recipe and knew it was very good, but the mix, when it was around, was marginally quicker and we all know how that is.

Anyway, I easily found the recipe, because I keep together, and in a special place, all the recipes this particular friend has given me.  And this morning for our special Sunday breakfast, I cooked sausage patties and these pancakes and thrilled the hearts of my family.  And this is a perfect example of how grand it is to have friends, and how grand it is to share recipes with them, and plants sometimes, and conversations, and fun, and sometimes even sorrow, because even sorrow can sometimes be borne more easily with the comfort of a friend.

 And here is Bettie’s recipe for Oatmeal Whole Wheat pancakes:

1 and ¼ cups milk
1 cup oats
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar (optional – depends on how you want to use the pancakes – I like to add the sugar

Combine milk and oats in bowl (I measured the milk in a 2 cup measure, then added the oats, made it easier to pour), let stand at least 5 minutes.

Beat the eggs in a small bowl,  add to the milk and oats along with the vegetable oil and stir well.

Measure the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl.   Stir in the wet ingredients, mix until dry ingredients are moistened.  Cook on hot griddle, using ¼ cup of batter for each pancake.  Makes 10 4-inch pancakes.  Serve with whatever you like; my family likes syrup, I like jelly. 

Oh, and think of my dear friend Bettie.

No comments:

Post a Comment