The Wrong Lilies

The Wrong Lilies

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Moments in time

Walking around my garden, I find new surprises and also defeats.  Isn't that the way of it?  The Early Girl tomato plant has two (2) tomatoes formed.  On the other hand, one of the new amaryllis johnsonii bulbs refuses to break dormancy.  And of course all of this pales alongside the horrendous news of storm damage across our beloved South.  The lives lost, the destruction of homes and towns and property are heartbreaking.  But also, for the survivors, I think of their cherished family photos, treasured dishes passed down, children's special toys.  Only things, I know, and nothing compared to lives lost and people injured.  But sensible or not, I know people mourn for small things.  Once I knew a family who lost their home in a fire.  One of the daughters came to a neighbor while I was there, and asked to borrow scissors.  Then she started to weep.  Everything, even their scissors, were destroyed.  The pain of survivors is very real and very long.  We must weep for them all.  Then we must comfort as best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment